Mason Wells, a 19-year-old Mormon missionary with the Church of Latter Day Saints spoke to his teary-eyed mother and father Tuesday from a hospital bed in Brussels.

The exchange was caught by Good Morning America:

The burns aren’t too bad at all, so they’re pretty sure they’re not gonna scar,” Mason said. Fighting to get a sentence out, Mason’s mother asked, “Where are the burns?”

Mason replied that they were, “On the right side of my head, kind of by my ear.”

But your eyes are ok?” asked Mrs. Wells.

“Yeah, and then my right hand is also kind of badly burned.”

How long will you be in the hospital?” his mother asked.

A couple weeks,” Mason replied.

During the phone call, Mason sounds remarkably calm. It could be because this wasn’t his first — or even second — experience being in close proximity of a terrorist attack.

NBC News reports:

“[Mason] was in Boston to watch his mother run the marathon in      2013 when two Chechen immigrant brothers set off shrapnel-filled      bombs that killed three and wounded scores more,” his family said.

It was also noted that, “Wells was also in Paris this past November when the French capital was attacked by Belgium-based terrorists.”

Alongside Mason during the attack were three other missionaries who were traveling with him; Joseph Empey, 20, Richard Norby, 66, and Fanny Rachel Clain, who was being escorted by the gentlemen to the airport to catch a flight to Ohio.

All three sustained injuries during the blast. Family members of each have said that they are recovering well and that the injuries aren’t life- threatening.

Chad Wells, Mason’s father, asked his son if he should come out to stay with him in the hospital.

Mason replied in the same calm manner, “I don’t feel like you need to come to Europe, but I’m not going  to stop you if you guys … if you want to, Dad.”

People Magazine followed up with the Wells family for an update on their son:

“We are grateful that our son, Elder Mason Wells, survived the attack and is receiving quality medical care. We have spoken to  him briefly and he feels blessed that he wasn’t injured more, given his close proximity to the bomb. He has undergone surgery to repair his Achilles heel and he’s also been treated for burns and shrapnel injuries.

As a family, we feel the power of prayer from those we know and those who only heard Mason’s name for the first time today. We  will continue to pray and hope for everyone affected by this tragedy.”
The call to prayer for those still in critical condition was echoed by the other families of the missionaries. Some accounts say that upwards of 60 people are in critical care at this time.

Amid all the loss and tragedy, it is comforting to see families that are on track to reunite with their loved ones.

You can watch a video of the exchange between Mason and his parents below.