Donald Trump pledged to “drain the swamp.”
The media figured it was just talk.
But just days into his presidency, the Trump Administration made good on its promise.
Four senior State Department officials were fired by the Trump Administration.
These career bureaucrats were part of the permanent government that burrows itself in power no matter which party runs the government.
Two senior administration officials said Thursday that the Trump Administration told four top State Department management officials that their services were no longer needed as part of an effort to “clean house” at Foggy Bottom.
Patrick Kennedy, who served for nine years as the Undersecretary for Management, Assistant Secretaries for Administration and Consular Affairs Joyce Anne Barr and Michele Bond, and Ambassador Gentry Smith, director of the Office for Foreign Missions, were sent letters by the White House that their service was no longer required, the sources told CNN.
All four, career officers serving in positions appointed by the President, submitted letters of resignation per tradition at the beginning of a new administration.
The letters from the White House said that their resignations were accepted and they were thanked for their service.
This was a major move by the Trump Administration to clean out the bureaucracy.
One of the fired officials – Patrick Kennedy – was involved in Hillary Clinton’s email scandal.
He was accused of pressuring an FBI agent to not have some of her emails marked as classified by offering a quid-pro-quo.
At first, the firings were painted as a mass walkout by career officials who just couldn’t stand the idea of working for Trump.
A fake news article appeared in The Washington Post – which is quickly turning into one of the largest publishers of fake news in America – claiming there were mass resignations:
“Secretary of State Rex Tillerson’s job running the State Department just got considerably more difficult. The entire senior level of management officials resigned Wednesday, part of an ongoing mass exodus of senior Foreign Service officers who don’t want to stick around for the Trump era.
Tillerson was actually inside the State Department’s headquarters in Foggy Bottom on Wednesday, taking meetings and getting the lay of the land. I reported Wednesday morning that the Trump team was narrowing its search for his No. 2, and that it was looking to replace the State Department’s long-serving Undersecretary for Management, Patrick Kennedy. Kennedy, who has been in that job for nine years, was actively involved in the transition and was angling to keep that job under Tillerson, three State Department officials told me.
Then suddenly on Wednesday afternoon, Kennedy and three of his top officials resigned unexpectedly, four State Department officials confirmed. Assistant Secretary of State for Administration Joyce Anne Barr, Assistant Secretary of State for Consular Affairs Michele Bond and Ambassador Gentry O. Smith, director of the Office of Foreign Missions, followed him out the door. All are career Foreign Service officers who have served under both Republican and Democratic administrations.”
But this was fake news.
All had previously submitted resignations as is the normal operating procedure when a new administration takes over.
Their resignations were accepted and they were fired.
The White House usually asks career officials in such positions to stay on for a few months until their successors are confirmed.
“Any implication that these four people quit is wrong,” one senior State Department official said. “These people are loyal to the secretary, the President and to the State Department. There is just not any attempt here to dis the President. People are not quitting and running away in disgust. This is the White House cleaning house.”
Trump took a big step to “drain the swamp.”
The media tried to cover it up by publishing fake news stories to distort the truth.
But Americans can take heart that Trump is taking steps to fulfill his campaign promises.