In the wake of a recent scandal, speculation had ramped up that Fox News Channel’s Bill O’Reilly would lose his job.

The activist left and so-called “mainstream” media salivated over the possibility of claiming the scalp of the top rated host on cable TV.

And then finally, Fox News announced their decision.

Fox released a statement saying O’Reilly – who had been off the air since April 11th – was finished for good.

The Washington Post reports:

“After a thorough and careful review of the allegations, the company and Bill O’Reilly have agreed that Bill O’Reilly will not be returning to the Fox News Channel,” 21st Century Fox, the channel’s parent company, said in a statement Wednesday. The ousted host stood by his earlier denials of the allegations in a statement issued late Wednesday afternoon.”

O’Reilly – who was traveling home from a vacation in Italy – released a statement of his own.

The Post also reports:

“Over the past 20 years at Fox News, I have been extremely proud to launch and lead one of the most successful news programs in history, which has consistently informed and entertained millions of Americans and significantly contributed to building Fox into the dominant news network in television,” he said. “It is tremendously disheartening that we part ways due to completely unfounded claims.

“But that is the unfortunate reality many of us in the public eye must live with today. I will always look back on my time at Fox with great pride in the unprecedented success we achieved and with my deepest gratitude to all my dedicated viewers. I wish only the best for Fox News Channel.”

The campaign against O’Reilly was led by left-wing lawyers and the radical group Media Matters, then aided and abetted by so-called “mainstream” media organizations like CNN and the New York Times.

They were determined to drive O’Reilly off the air by attacking sponsors of his program.

Their attack campaign caused over 90 advertisers to take their commercials off O’Reilly’s show.

However, their ads were shifted to other Fox News programs.

Tucker Carlson’s show will now move into the 8pm slot starting April 24th, and The Five will move to 9pm.

Eric Bolling will now host a solo program at 5pm.

The decision to fire O’Reilly was driven by James and Lachlan Murdoch – the sons of Newscorp. President Rupert Murdoch.

They do not share their father’s conservative views and wish to eventually move Fox News in a more liberal direction.

We will keep you up to date on any further developments in this story.