Barack Obama has made closing the terrorist detention facility at Guantanamo Bay a top priority ever since he ran for office in 2008.

And he just moved one step closer to that goal.

But the terrorist he set free has many Americans worried.

The latest jihadist to be given one of Obama’s “get out of jail free” cards is Abdel Malik Ahmed Abdel Wahab al-Rahabi, who once stood accused of being Osama bin Laden’s body guard.

NBC News reports:

“Abdel Malik Ahmed Abdel Wahab al-Rahabi had been held at the U.S. naval base on Cuba for 14 years but never charged with a crime. A U.S. review board found in 2014 that the Yemeni national was no longer a threat to the nation and recommended he be transferred.

The Pentagon said it was grateful to Montenegro — a small European country looking to join NATO — for its “humanitarian gesture and willingness to support” efforts to close Guantanamo.

The transfer was “consistent with appropriate security and humane treatment measures,” the Defense Department said in a statement.

Montenegro’s government said al-Rahabi had applied for asylum and was not being detained. It said in a statement Wednesday that it had taken responsibility for al-Rahabi’s “re-socialization” and “his return to his family.”

But can we trust this review board who freed Osama bin Laden’s body guard?

A large percentage of inmates released from Guantanamo Bay have returned to terrorism.

Obama’s own Director of National Intelligence confirmed that over 100 detainees turned loose were later absorbed back into terrorist networks.

CNS News reports:

“The Director of National Intelligence released a report this week indicating that the United States has “confirmed” that 116 detainees “transferred” out of the prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, subsequently reengaged in terrorist or insurgent activities.

The report also warned: “Based on trends identified during the past eleven years, we assess that some detainees currently at GTMO will seek to reengage in terrorist or insurgent activities after they are transferred.”

The DNI first publicly warned more than four years ago–in December 2010–that the number of then already “transferred” Guantanamo detainees returning to terror and insurgent activity would increase as time passed and that if additional detainees were released in the future some of those would also return to terrorist and insurgent activities.

Many Americans are wondering why Obama is releasing Islamic terrorists despite the risk to our national security.

Obama contends the prison at Guantanamo Bay targets Muslims who believe the United States is provoking them to commit acts of terror against America.

But Guantanamo Bay only houses the worst of the worst.

And al-Rahabi fits the definition of dangerous.

He was reported to have trained for a hijacking mission to run in coordination with the 9/11 attacks, and the U.S. believed he was lying about how he came into contact with Islamic militants.

NBC News also reports that:

“The files allege al-Rahabi also received training for a planned mission to hijack airplanes in southeast Asia in an attack that was meant to be coordinated with 9/11 but never happened.

Al-Rahabi denied the allegations and said he had some contact with the Taliban while teaching the Quran in Afghanistan, according to the documents, an account the U.S. deemed to be “false.”

Do you agree with Obama’s decision to release al-Rahabi?

Let us know in the comment section.